Oil Questions?

To: "Freeman, Noah" <nfreeman@baincapital.com>
Subject: Oil Questions?
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 09:44:56 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Freeman, Noah"
>When performing my first ever oil change (yay!), I did a stupid...I looked
in the owners manual, which said "refill oil from wet, 12 US quarts"...so I
dutifully put in 12 quarts without checking the dipstick...I think I must
have retained more oil than the owners manual took account of (in the
filter, for example)...so when after a few minutes of driving to swirl it
all around, I checked the dipstick, there was a ton too much oil (like I
couldnt see the mark on the dipstick, it was so high)...

Does this matter?  What do I do about it (short of a 2nd oil change)?  Is
driving as normal, and just waiting for the level to drop naturally OK?
<

Were you looking at a manual for a Jaguar?  I don't recall anything on a
Triumph taking 12 Qts (except maybe the cooling system and that doesn't
take oil).

Anyway, with that much oil the crankshaft will be slapping the surface
whipping air into the oil and the oil pump will be trying to pump an oil
foam.  Although this is not terminal in the short term it certainly isn't
what the designers had in mind.   I figure you have about 7 qts too many in
there

With the engine cold (we don't want to burn ourselves) I would crawl under
the car with a drain pan and pull the plug and drain out what looks like
six quarts and put the plug back in.  Check the dipstick.  If it still
reads high, drain out some more.  When you get to within 1/4 qt of the full
mark, stop.  If you drain out too much, top up.

And if you like your new oil pressure now, wait until there is no air
wipped in.

Dave Massey