Re: While motor's out, what else would u do?

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: While motor's out, what else would u do?
From: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 01:22:20 -0700 FILETIME=[DA5CD080:01C14D76]
Hi,

Who wants to be the first to tell Bob about shipwrights disease?

The answer to this questions starts with throttle shaft bushings and only
ends with the body off the frame and everything in little plastic baggies;^)

BTW, I was able to paint the engine compartment on my 4 with only the intake
manifold removed and wires/hoses disconnected. It took a little while and
many cans of spray paint but it looks nice now. If nothing else is wrong I
wouldn't pull the engine just to apply a little paint. Unless everything
else on the car is perfect having a perfect engine compartment is folly.
Besides once you get it painted you will have a radiator hose fail, or
master cylinder start leaking. One other consideration, if the car has
original paint and just the engine compartment is looking shabby it might
not be a good idea to restore this area. There's nothing like the original
patina on a car and once covered up there's no getting it back. Try just
cleaning it up a little and see what it looks like. If you do remove the
engine you might as well do a full rebuild as this is much easier with the
engine out.

Cheers,

John Matthews
'61 Herald
'63 TR 4

>At 10:00 AM 10/4/2001 -0400, bob wrote:
>>Listers:
>>
>>Later this year, I will remove my engine and transmission in order to
>>paint and detail the engine compartment to perfection.
>>What other things would you recommend? Timing gears?
>>
>>Appreciate your suggestions.
>>
>>Bob Fabie
>>Fredericksburg, Va
>>'75 TR6
>
>--

Director of Product Development
Manufacturing Systems & Technologies, Inc.
Web site: www.msystech.com
Telephone: 856-874-1884