GT6 rebuild begins

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 rebuild begins
From: "mcgibney" <mcgibney@attcanada.ca>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 10:48:44 -0600
I fear this list is going to receive a fair number of these from me over the
next few (several?) months. A bit of background first. The beast has been
sitting patiently in the garage for about 10 years while home, business and
family duties took priority - a goodly quantity of replacement parts
accumulated, books read (Factory manual, Haynes, Practical Classics, Vizard,
Triumph Tune, BL Comp Prep booklet, ...). The plan is a body off rebuild with
a somewhat heated up motor (ported, street/autox cam, headers, HS6 carbs)
mainy street with some autox use. Now, the motor is out, the micrometers and
dial guages are ready. First thing one of the people in the know suggests is
"why don'cha drop in a 2.5?" Hmm... hadn't thought of that. Motor needs a
rebuild anyway, more torque for autox, local class rules give max prep points
once I touch the engine anyway, so stroking it doesn't bump me any further up
in autox(might as well be hung for a sheep as a goat). So:

Question 1 - any thoughts on going 2.5 liters or staying with the 2.0?

Queston 2 - If I do go 2.5, I see that there is a long nose and a short nose
2.5 L crank and the GT6 needs the short nose to match the flywheel/clutch -
anyone know the engine numbers for short nose cranks?

thanks

Scott