RE: TR6 Heater Cable

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6 Heater Cable
From: "Biedermann, Frank (SSABSA)" <frank@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 12:23:44 +0930
> Anyone else out there been severely frustrated by the cable
> that controls the
> heater valve in a TR6?

You're not alone there...

> What's causing it to require such tremendous force to actuate
> that stupid valve?

Have you ever tried moving the valve by hand? It does require a large amount
of force to get it to move - I guess because the actual valve is spring
loaded (to keep it shut) and you're working against that to open it. You may
be able to replace it with some other sort of valve (perhaps a brass tap
(faucet)) which would be easier to move, but I haven't looked into doing
that. I think it would be a fairly simple thing to do.

> As a matter of fact. . .while I'm whining. . .that entire
> heater is pretty
> mediocre.
>
> Open the fresh air vent in front of the windshield or you
> don't get any air
> flow.
>
> The vents on the dash only blow fresh air.
> They need to be closed to force hot air through the other routes.
>
> And that stupid metal flap that directs air to the defogger
> or towards your
> feet. . . . not the most effective thing in the world.

Yes, I agree, although I think a few other people have upgraded their fans
to something a little more modern and have noticed a bit of an improvement
in airflow. That won't fix the other problems though. Not sure what you can
do about them unless you re-design the heater box or modify another car's
box to fit...

Frank Biedermann
69 TR6 PI
Adelaide