Re: TR6 Heater Cable

To: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Heater Cable
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 09:18:25 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "\[unknown\]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
--- David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com> wrote:
> Message text written by Scott Tilton
> >Friggin heater!
> <
>
> Scott, Scott, Scott.  Settle down.  You're spoiled by the heaters found in
> American cars.

I've never had an American car.
No . . .I take that back.
When my TR4 had an electrical melt down in high school, I bought an AMC Pacer
for $25 to get me through the last month of school.

You don't know fun until you've had a disposable car!

> The heater in the TR6 (and the TR4 for that matter) was
> heads and shoulders above the heater in the MGB or the TR3.

I guess that is true. . . doesn't mean it isn't a turd though.
Just a less stinky turd.   (I'm just kidding. . .no flames)

> Try a little grease on the valve control cable.  If the cable is a little
> corroded, try buffing it with steel wool and then grease it and reinsert it
> into the sheath.

Thanks
I'll try the grease.

The cable is new and so is the one it replaced.
I thought maybe the valve was a little sticky so I bought a new one from Chucky
Ruynan at Waynesboro.  It didn't feel any better than the old one.

The cables were "made in England" according to their sticker. . .so don't blame
it on the Taiwanese.

> The cool air from the dash vents comes in handy on cool, sunny days when
> you need warm air on the feet and cool air on the face.

Phooey on that.
I think I'd rather have nice vent windows.
They'd do the trick and help with some other problems too.
Windows down during slight rain wouldn't result in water spraying around the
windshield into my face.  I bet the windows would be less prone to rattling
around in the doors if there were vent windows too.

Anyone ever ditch the face level eyeball vents and put some speakers in the
holes?  If my wife is going to demand some tunes in the car, I might as well be
able to hear them.

The TR-4 was much more simple too.  I guess they tried to make the face level
ventilation fan forced for the TR6.  Just cluttered stuff up under the dash in
my opinion.

> The scuttle vent lid is a handy way to keep the rain out when not driving.

Yeah well . . . it would be nice except mine is toasted.
They worked well on my TR-4s, but on this 6, the lid is only held to the
bracket beneat it by a lot of crusty rust.  I can manually open and close it
from outside the car, but the lever inside the car won't get the job done.

That has been farther down on the "to fix" list.

I guess I AM spoiled by the option on modern cars to draw in the air from
either the interior of the car or fresh exterior air.

If they had put such an option on TR4s and TR6's,  I bet a lot fewer of them
would have rusted out so badly on the trailing end of the front fenders.

Gotta get back to work.

Thanks for the grease advise.

Scott Tilton
Working in Ashburn, VA