Re: HS6's on TR6

Subject: Re: HS6's on TR6
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:09:15 -0700
Hi Pete :

Pete & Aprille Chadwell wrote:

> I'm no TR7 expert, but I wasn't aware that any TR7s came with SU
> carburettors

Almost all TR7s _except_ USA-spec came with dual HS-6.  US-spec cars had
ZS to meet emission requirements.

> The HS6 variety of SU carbs were used on TR3s & TR4's,
> correct?

Only late TR4A, no other TR2-4.  But, lots of other cars, including
models from Triumph, Austin, MG, Volvo, Rolls-Royce, etc.

> Please correct me as necessary!

I really can't comment on what the problem is in this case.  The level
of fuel at the jet does vary a fair amount with changing attitude,
hopefully the jet design is fairly insensitive to fuel level.  It does
seem that a low float setting does not make much difference to my H6
carbs, except perhaps on hills and turns.  I do know that the HS6 carbs
had interchangeable bushings to set the angle of the float bowl relative
to the carb body.  Since the TR7 motor is slanted to one side, it may be
that the carbs were also tilted, and the TR6 requires different
bushings.

Randall