RE:HS6's on TR6

To: "INTERNET:DarcyHunt@aol.com" <DarcyHunt@aol.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE:HS6's on TR6
From: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 21:25:26 -0400
Yes, I suspected that you might have to adjust the valve.  I agree that you
need to have the CORRECT float level
in both carbs AND they must be equal.  Within reason, equal is more important
than a precise 0.125"

If you have no shims under the read carb and the float level is too low, then I
do not see any way to raise it
further.  I suppose you would need to adjust the front to match the rear.
However if you have a float which is not
binding and it is adjusted to the proper height, then the float level must be
just about perfect, right?

Oh, about the rearward engine tilt.  If the engine is tilted, then BOTH carbs
ought to be tilted to the same degree!
So whatever the float setting is, the two carbs ought to match.  If the settig
is out of whack, then they will not match....

Also, remember, (about the needle), the lean area is not at the very top of the
needle, is is somewhere below the
top 1/4" to 1/2" or more.  You need to judge where the lean spot is physically
by measuring the piston rise
at the point where the running gets rough.  But to do any of this, you need to
have the floats set properly,
and the idle mixture tuned properly.

-Tony

Message text written by INTERNET:DarcyHunt@aol.com
>Talked to Joe Curto yesterday and he emphasized the importance of float level
>which for this carb was 1/8 inch
clearance.The plastic floats like I have are actually adjusted by putting
varying shim washers under the needle
seat.  I was talking to him about raising the float level somehow but he said
the focus should be on having the
appropriate 1/8 inch of clearance.  This didn't really make sense since I had
thought higher fuel level at the jet was
necessary.  Joe said to much emphasis is placed on the level of fuel at the
main jet.  So....last night I went out and
using a combinaion of old and new stuff, adjusted the floats down, to about
0.05, as good as I could get w/o shims
and things seemed to have improved.  I plan on ordering some shims from Joe
today plus a needle that is richer
on the top end and see what happens.  I will keep you updated.
Darcy Hunter
'73 TR6
North Easton, MA<