RE: speedometers

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: speedometers
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 19:50:48 -0800
> But someone told me that if I want to roll back. I just hook the
> speedometer
> to a drill and let 'er rip. That should set it to 00000 in no time.

That seems to be a popular myth, but IMO it's only a myth.  First of all,
the odometer does not work in reverse (only the 1/10 digit will move
backwards).  Ok, that's not what you said.  Turning it forward isn't much
better, basically an ordinary drill motor can only manage less than 100 mph
equivalent (roughly 2000 rpm at the speedo head).  To turn it forward as
little as 1000 miles is going to take 10 hours ...

And even if you had a motor capable of turning the shaft at 10,000 rpm, it
would likely destroy the speedometer.

Randall