Re: speedometers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: speedometers
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 09:58:44 +0000
In article <KCEDIIONIIMOEAPMKGKOCEDACHAA.pbitton@axess.com>, Patrick
Bitton <pbitton@axess.com> writes
>Personally, I would roll back my mileage if I am rebuilding my engine ONLY.
>If it's to make money? I wouldn't advertise here for sure.
>
>But someone told me that if I want to roll back. I just hook the speedometer
>to a drill and let 'er rip. That should set it to 00000 in no time.

That's what I thought.   Firstly, a Triumph speedometer won't roll back
(the ratchet won't let it), so you have to roll it forward.   Secondly,
it takes a *long* time with a domestic drill to put miles on.   Thirdly,
the tiny plastic gears in the odometer wear out pretty quickly if you
drive them at that speed, so you'll end up having to take the odometer
assembly apart, and replace the gears with some taken from another
odometer.   Given that you'll end up taking it apart anyway, you might
just as well take it apart in the first place, and put it back together
with the odometer reading the correct mileage that you require.

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"