RE: Fixing tank pin holes

To: "'mike'" <mike@gsta.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Fixing tank pin holes
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 13:45:54 -0500
I saw the "best" method ever for fixing leaky gas tanks back in 1990. I was
visiting a friends truck factory. Some of the mechanics had a thriving
private business going patching up old cars. They worked after hours in the
back of the plant.

I came along one Saturday afternoon and saw a couple of guys working under
the back of a compact car. I walked up close and looked under the car to see
what was up. There was a guy on his back under the car using a TIG welder
and a piece of coat hanger to weld a leaking patch on the bottom of the gas
tank. With the tank full no less. I backed away really quickly I can tell
you. However he didn't blow himself up. He claimed that the gas carried away
the heat by convection before it vaporized and blew up.

My friend had his whole factory full of people from all over eastern Europe.
Poland, Czech, Russia etc.. They had learned a few pretty wild tricks
working under lousy conditions. More balls than brains I guess.

Mark