RE: Fixing tank pin holes

To: "'ebk'" <ebk@buffnet.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Fixing tank pin holes
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 11:07:17 -0500
I guess the bunch I saw had stuck a screw or something metal in the hole and
then welded it in.
I understand that unless the heat boiled the fuel inside the tank, there
would not be a vapour in direct contact with the welder. But you're right
the tank was probably damp on the outside.

Even so it was a daft thing to do. Anything could have happened. Electric
welding on good clean sheet metal is touchy at best, on rusty old thing
metal it is very difficult to weld without penetrating the material. They
could have burned a hole in the tank and had a stream of gas spray into the
electric arc. With the temperature of the arc being somewhere above the
surface temperature of the sun, the fuel wouldn't have reacted very slowly.
It would have flashed instantly into vapour.

I read somewhere that one gallon of gasoline has the same potential energy
(when burned in a relatively confined space) as 18 sticks of dynamite. A
full tank would make a pretty impressive "boom".

Mark