Re: SpeedChannel sucks

To: "Paul Burr" <tigerpb@ids.net>, "Mike Thompson" <miket@rio.edu>
Subject: Re: SpeedChannel sucks
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@idcnet.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:58:20 -0600
Cc: "Mitchel Seff" <ms6453@optonline.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
This is not LBC-related, so I am risking perpetuating a discussion that will
get me yelled at, BUT...

I like NASCAR.  I also like late model stocks at the local speedway.  I like
WRC.  I like Formula 1 (although less than I used to because it is becoming
such a procession).  I like just about all forms of motor sport.  Seems to
me that "the stench of corporate cash" is what makes possible the diversity
of racing currently available, both in the professional arena and in the
amateur arena.  I don't think there are many racers out there that would
turn down the offer of assistance in return for placing a decal on their
car.

As for NASCAR, I used to look down upon NASCAR because I thought it was
"boring".  Of course, I had never actually seen a race.  Then, I got cable
and actually watched one.  These guys are GOOD!  40-odd cars racing inches
from each other for hundreds of miles at 190 mph - that's skill.

And, Jim Hill is right.  The only thing a NASCAR race car has in common with
the model it purports to be is the manufacturer's logo.   A NASCAR Taurus
could become a Monte Carlo virtually overnight, if necessary.