RE: TR3 Rear Road Leaf Springs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3 Rear Road Leaf Springs
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:57:04 -0800
> During a recent conversation with several past TR3 owners, one
> mentioned that TR3's had two different leaf springs.  Apparently
> the drivers side was stiffer to help balance the car with driver
> only.  I can find only minimal reference to this and the
> catalogues sell only one part number for both sides.  When I got
> my car it was disassembled and I remember that the springs looked
> different.  What I am wondering is how can I tell if I installed
> them the correct way.

Jerry, on my car the springs were identical except that the passenger's side
had an extra piece of leaf, only 3-4" long, effectively a spacer between the
spring and axle.  The center bolt might have been longer, but I don't
remember it being so.  Since the axle runs over the spring, the spacer has
the effect of lowering the passenger's side by about 1/4", hardly enough to
worry about IMO.

Randall