Re: TR3 Rear Road Leaf Springs

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Rear Road Leaf Springs
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:35:44 EST
In a message dated 1/15/2003 4:56:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jgoulet@thomsontechnology.com writes:

> During a recent conversation with several past TR3 owners, one mentioned
> that TR3's had two different leaf springs.  Apparently the drivers side was
> stiffer to help balance the car with driver only.  I can find only minimal
> reference to this and the catalogues sell only one part number for both
> sides.  When I got my car it was disassembled and I remember that the
> springs looked different.  What I am wondering is how can I tell if I
> installed them the correct way.

FWIW, my TR2/3/3A Spare Parts Catalogue shows:

TS1 -

Rear road spring 301017
leaf, main 301017/M

TS26904 -

Rear road spring (driver's side) 301017
leaf, main 301017/M
Rear road spring (passenger's side) 303306
leaf, main 303306/M

There are no other listings for the other leaves (presumably NOT sold
separately), but I'm guessing that it was only the main leaf that was changed
to a slightly heavier-duty item for the driver's side. According to the TRF
price list, both numbers supercede to the 208636; that, in turn, is the
original part number for the TR4 DRIVER'S side spring (passenger side also
supersedes to the driver's side p/n). Incidentally, TRF also still lists as
available 304008 TR4 Rear Road Spring for competition use only. ;-)

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.