And now for something completely different (no LBC)

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: And now for something completely different (no LBC)
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 00:07:47 -0500
About 20 years ago I bought a strange sort of brass object and turned it
into a doorbell.

Today while attempting to clean the Augean stables (i.e. my basement) I came
across my old brass doorbell and thought "How strange, I wonder what this
really is". So although I know this has nothing at all to do with LBCs I
believe that, from the many connections of the list members, perhaps someone
can put me onto a link where I can find the data I am looking for.

My doorbell looks like what can only be described as a very large rifle
cartridge. The bullet is not there since it has been fired (thus allowing me
to turn it into a doorbell with less risk than hammering an unfired
cartridge to make a sound). ;^) It is about 18" long and 3 1/2" across the
base. All brass. It has several markings on the base, spaced around the
firing hole. (I still have the firing pin which is another bullet-like
perforated brass shape that screws into the firing hole).

On top it says "6PR7CWT" with an "I" and small "m" under.
On the left it shows "LOT" with an 850 under
On the right it has "ECC"
On the bottom it has a small "61F and an up arrow" and a large "1943", the
date I guess.

Any guesses anybody about where to identify this bit of brass? I fitted it
up with a solenoid and a nut on the end of a wire hidden inside. It made a
cheerful sort of clang in my student apartment at university. Good
conversation piece. Not that we needed conversation, that apartment was kind
of odd already.

It appears to be some sort of cannon cartidge from a small field gun or
tank. Certainly in 1943 Canada was producing half the arms for the allies,
so finding a big bullet from those days should be pretty common, I would
just like to know what it originally fitted.

Mark Hooper
1972 TR6 (and a brass doorbell)