Re: Triumph Dolomite Sprint

To: "levilevi" <levilevi@attbi.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Subject: Re: Triumph Dolomite Sprint
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 10:27:18 -0000 h0JAYu70007976
From: levilevi <levilevi@attbi.com>

> I still haven't figured out from the article if it was built on the
> Herald/Spitfire/GT6 chassis concept (I think they were indicating it was) or
> was something new.  Anyone know?

The front vertical links are similar to the Herald/Spitfire design at first
glance, but once you look a little deeper there's actually very little in
common - the spring/damper assemblies are located between the top of the
vertical link and a turret in the engine bay. From inside the engine bay this
looks like a Macpherson strut arrangement, something which must have caught out
some former Ford owners in the past! The steering rack also runs behind the
axle line. The Dolomites are built on a monocoque shell with a live axle at the
rear. The front suspension and engine/gearbox are built on a rubber mounted
subframe.
The only obvious major component which springs to mind as common to the  Herald
& Spitfire family is the steering column joint.....
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics