RE: TR4 PCV vs Breather

To: "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 PCV vs Breather
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 18:22:36 -0800
> I have a 64 TR4 with the closed engine (sealed oil fill cap & no
> breather tube).  When I first got the car there was a funky after-market
> venting apparatus on the valve cover (now I know why).  I replaced that
> with a correct valve cover but then began to get oil pushing out around
> the oil fill cap.  Renewed the gasket there but now seem to be sending
> quite a bit of oil into the carbs via the tube from the valve cover.
>
> Is this symptomatic of a probelm or typical for a '4 with this
> arrangment?

I can't speak from experience with a TR4, but it's my belief this is
indicative of an engine with rather more blowby than the factory allowed
for.  It no doubt runs fine otherwise, but combustion gases are getting past
the rings into the crankcase, and the factory vent is just too small.

> Would a (TR3/early TR4) breather tube be a reasonable way to relieve
> this pressure?  Can the plug in the port used for the tube be removed
> with the engine in place?  Looks like getting the fuel pump out of the
> way might help.  Is it just a press fit like a freeze plug?

It does fit like a freeze plug, but I agree with Jerry, you're likely to
drop crud into the engine getting it out.  Of course, you could drop the pan
and flush the area with solvent ...

Another option might be to simply run a tube from the fitting on the valve
cover down towards the ground rather than into the air filters.  It won't
solve the oil mist being blown out, but will keep it from fouling the air
filter elements.

Yet another option might be to replace the fill cap with a breather filter.
I'm not certain, but I believe K&N sells a unit that will just slip over the
fill pipe.  You'll have to investigate more than I have to find one that
fits, but here's a link to what I'm talking about
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=5246

The filter element will hopefully trap the oil mist, and let it run back
into the engine rather than being blown all over the engine.

Randall