RE: Fire Extinguishers

To: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: Fire Extinguishers
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:26:45 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h0MDvq70023609
Message text written by Randall Young
>It will be interesting to see what happens, apparently it's required by
law
to have Halon in passenger aircraft.  I guess at the moment it just has to
be imported Halon <g>
<

I suspect that there is plenty around.  When you consider that there is no
consumption except in the event of a fire, most Halon extinguisher systems
will outlive the air craft and the Halon will be recovered when the craft
is scrapped.  Also, I'll bet the extinguisher folks are hording a bunch and
what's a few thousand dollars worth of Halon when compared to a
multi-million dollar plane.

I once worked for a company that packaged aerosol insecticide.  Since most
aerosols use porpane as a propellent, the station where the propellent is
introduced into the can is a very hazardous location.  It is housed in a
separate building, no steel tools allowed in the room, and it is equiped
with a Halon suppression system.  They had two discharges in the past 20
years (both were false triggers) and they had ehough Halon on hand for
quite 10 or more recharges.  A lifetime supply for them, I'd say.

Cheers

Dave