Re: new convertible top

To: lstein6@earthlink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: new convertible top
From: Blake Discher <bdischer@blakedischer.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:24:59 -0500
At 09:01 PM 1/22/2003, lstein6@earthlink.net wrote:
>i have supposedly just won an ebay auction for a new convertible top for my
>80 tr7.   what scares me is everytime i have bid on one on the past they
>have always gone for way over the $149 starting bid price with multiple
>bids.  this one i won at the starting bid price of $149 with only one other
>bid.  it is from ebay seller 'best-man' = aabest@evenlink.com  which is the
>a.a. best top company.  does anyone have experience with this company ?
>does this all sound good ?  and by the way, how hard is it to replace the
>top ?  that is, remove the old one and put on the new one.  i've never done
>that before.

Hi Larry,

Before it got super cold, myself and a friend changed out the top on my TR7
Spider.  I too purchased the one from AA Best.  The quality of the top was
excellent and cut correctly.  No instructions however on installation.  I
purchased mine directly from their website, not e-Bay.  Paid $149.  The
installation was a breeze.  I've done my TR6, the TR7 was easier.  I tried
to do my Stag's top, gave up, and sent it to a pro.  But the TR7 was the
simplest and I'd suspect you could do your yourself.

The trick is the stretch to the front after you've anchored the back.  When
I did the TR6, I was initially disappointed that it was a bit loose, but
this past season, 2 years later, it looked great since it is constantly
getting tighter due to shrinkage.  So I would say if you get it on and it's
a bit loose, don't worry too much.  One more thing, you'll see a loop
stitched on each side where the top meets each door just above the
front-most snap.  I pulled on this to fasten the front-most snap and ripped
it out of the top.  It didn't tear the top fortunately, just broke the
loop.  So be careful when using the loop as a pull.  I'm not sure what
other purpose that loop would serve.  Good luck... you can do it!

Cheers,
Blake Discher
TR7, TR6, Stag, 2000 (all frozen solid, ugh!)

----
SPONSOR ME?  Driving my British car to benefit Hemophilia
Foundation:  www/mibrr.com
Play the game: "Don't Crash the
Triumph!"   http://www.fireflystudios.com/triumph