Re: rear hatch trim - mastic and Plastisol

To: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "CARS Spitfires@Autox. Team. Net (E-mail)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <SPIT6CGT6@yahoogroups.com>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: rear hatch trim - mastic and Plastisol
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 10:49:01 -0000 h0RApX71010524
From: ptegler@cablespeed <ptegler@cablespeed.com>

> So... now that the rubber is all nice and tight...I get to try and lift
> the edges to cram the tip of a silicone sealant tube in the there
> to seal everything...

Hi Paul,
    A mastic sealant is a far better solution than silicone for glazing rubbers
- most of the silicone sealants I've experinced bond so well to both glass and
rubber that they make any future dismantling a complete nightmare, plus of
course the problem of remaoving all silicone traces for any future paintwork.
Motor factors in the UK sell professional windscreen mastics, however I've used
roofing mastic with excellent results - one car in particular lived outside for
5 years with the windscreen sealed this way without any leaking. I don't know
about the specific installation of the GT6 tailgate glass, but it's never been
a problem getting the tip of a mastic cartridge under the seal where it meets
the glass in similar applications.
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--