Re: What do the professionals do?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What do the professionals do?
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:57:57 +0000
On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, at around 12:01:11 local time, Bob Westerdale
<Bob.Westerdale@ametek.com> wrote:

>What-  no propane torch to help?

No, but I think there's on old plumber's blow-torch somewhere in the
deeper and darker recesses of my Mum's garage (which has been in
continual use by my family for the storage of both cars and tools for
the past 80-odd years - you would not believe what turns up
sometimes...).   I wish I had thought of using heat, or heat/cold
cycles.

>   A couple of squirts of " PB Blaster"
>( not WD40)

OK, are there any UK listers who can tell me whether I can buy this
magic stuff here, or what the UK equivalent is?

>  and a few minutes with the gas torch on, and you'd be back
>in the house enjoying a cold beer....    Even allowing time to remove
>the flammable grease/crud,  you'd still be saving a lot of time.  Heat-  even
>applied repeatedly in hot cold cycles with alternating squirts of
> PB, Kroil or equiv. ( and not WD40) will  free most stuck bolts.    I've even
>had good luck heating up a part and then allowing it to melt
>some candle wax into the ' impenetrable'  gap....   something about
>melted paraffin that's seems to really get in there....

Another interesting tip which I have filed away for future reference -
many thanks.

>Good luck next time.

Next time, I'll start with a blow-torch, and move quickly on to the
grinder if that doesn't work!

LBCs - learning experiences on wheels.

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671