Re: What do the professionals do?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What do the professionals do?
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 08:03:46 +0000
On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, at around 10:50:47 local time, Randall Young
<ryoung@navcomtech.com> wrote:
>> >IMO, WD40 is a very poor penetrating oil (it's better for other
>> things).  My
>> >personal favorite penetrating oil is PB Blaster, with Kroil a
>> close second.
>> >I've heard that SiliKroil is better yet, but haven't tried it.
>> And, I've no
>> >idea if any of these are available in the UK ...
>> >http://www.kanolabs.com/
>>
>> Nor have I - I've certainly never come across them over here.   I agree
>> with you that WD40 is a poor penetrating oil, but it was either than or
>> a bottle of 3-in-1 that has been sitting in my Mum's garage for the past
>> 20 years.
>
>Kroil is, AFAIK, only available direct from the manufacturer.  I don't know
>if they can ship to the UK, but it might be worth asking.  Buy a case and
>sell individual cans to all your friends, they'll think you're a genius !

I've placed an on-line order for a can of Silikroil, just to see what
happens.   I expect an e-mail later today telling me that they don't
ship to UK...

>> >For stubborn cases, PB Blaster may take a long time to work.  I've soaked
>> >stuck fasteners for as much as a month, trying to remove them
>> every few days
>> >(and applying more PB Blaster), to have them finally come loose.
>>
>> Blimey!   You've got a lot more patience than I have...
>
>Nah, just lots and lots of other things that also need attention.  If I get
>stalled on one project, I can usually just move onto something else ... some
>of my projects have been in this state for 20 years !  OTOH, if it's
>something I have to drive to work in the morning, the job takes on a little
>more urgency ... the angle grinder or "flaming wrench" (oxy-acetylene torch)
>is likely to get a workout ... <g>

<g>   Alas, my "fleet" isn't yet big enough that I can afford to leave
more than one car not running for that length of time.   My Herald
saloon is presently undergoing professional restoration, which means
that I only have the Spit and the Herald convertible available.   The
Herald convertible isn't nearly as waterproof as I would like, so, in
this weather, the Spit has to be on the road!

ATB

--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671