RE: Build Year or Sale/Title Year?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Build Year or Sale/Title Year?
From: "Jeff Tedder" <jtedder68@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:53:53 -0800
Bill,

I just go by when it was built - that's something everybody can agree
on, since it's traceable and takes the 'guesswork' out of any
discussion.

Another reason for this is a problem I had a few years back when I
brought my car back from Oregon to California.  The title was for a '68
TR4A, which obviously doesn't exist except for in the strange
netherworld that was car dealerships in the '60s.  Unfortunately, the
smog guys went by the year instead of the make.  The limits for the
TR250 were lower than for the 4A, so my car wasn't passing smog, and
thus couldn't be reregistered in California.  I finally just took a
bunch of build information down to the DMV (after getting the expected
runaround for weeks), and they retitled it as a '67.

FWIW :)

Jeff Tedder
'66 & '67 TR4A