Re: Build Year or Sale/Title Year?

To: MotoPsyche@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Build Year or Sale/Title Year?
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:09:12 -0500
At 11:18 PM -0500 1/20/04, MotoPsyche@aol.com wrote:
>I've just started paying attention to the likelihood that my TR3A (TS67947L)
>was manufactured in 1960, even though it is currently titled as a 1961.  I'm
>curious to know if most folks refer to their cars by the build year or the
>sale/title year, especially after confirming the build date.
>
>Not a big deal, but I'd like to be in step with popular convention.

Bill,
A lot depends on exactly when your car was built. Long ago,
manufacturers made a big deal over the fall roll-out of new models.
That's not so common now, but there is still a legal convention about
model years, since emission regs apply to model years. A car can be
declared a certain model year if it is sold on Jan 1st of that year.
For example, Ford can bring the new Execration to market today and
call it a 2005 model if those vehicles will be sold on Jan 1st of
next year.

As for how this applies to your TR3A, it might be best to find out
when it was built. (Heritage Certificate) If the car was built in
March of 1960, it's a 1960. If it was built in November, I guess you
could call it a '61.
--
Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (26 year owner)