RE: starter motors

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: starter motors
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 16:07:04 -0700
> I know there has been comments written about the high torque gear
> reduction
> starters, but i didn't pay close enough attention at the time.
> So, could a
> few of you please give me some feedback on
> likes/dislikes/recommendations on
> these new "high tech" units.

I've had one on my TR3A for a few years now, I absolutely love it !  Does
sound a bit different when cranking, between the gear whine and the ole
4-banger turning so fast, it just doesn't sound like a TRactor motor being
cranked.  Was a joy to fit too, went easily into place with one hand while
it always took 2 hands and a certain amount of swearing to squeeze the
original into place.

As I've mentioned before, I was concerned about the original starter
contacts being able to carry the much larger current of the 'high tech'
solenoid, so I used the original starter solenoid (which is separate from
the starter on a TR3) as a relay to supply current to the new solenoid.  I
would recommend considering adding a relay to your TR6 too, although perhaps
the original TR6 solenoid draws more current than the TR3 solenoid and so
your start contacts may be more capable than mine.

> Plus, the reason i'm checking on these is because after a long
> run, if I turn
> the TR off & then try to restart the starter really lags, or
> doesn't seem to
> have half the pep.  Is this a sign of starter age ? or am I into
> a different problem ?

Hard to say for sure, but a tired starter is certainly a prime suspect.

Randall