Re: TR3A Week 2

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A Week 2
From: Triumph TR2 <triumphtr2@direcway.com>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 23:33:31 -0400
> You will probably need to mention whether the commission number is
pre-50000
> (bullet nose starter) or post-50000 (the other kind).  Mkaes a difference
in
> source and $$$.
>
> Geo Hahn
> 59 TR3A
> Mt Lemmon, AZ

Thanks George - Comm # is TS 54487, so would seem to need the newer one BUT,
the starter that came off is the old type... guessing either the engine is
older than the chassis, or the old starter was the wrong one? ( I have pics
of the starter, but nowhere to post them at the moment... will e-mail if
req. Looks exactly like the shrouded bomb-type, and nothing like the long
bendix one comparing to pics in the Williams book.)

So, more questions (well, a question if you don't count the dumb ones...)

What is  the engine # range/crossover for the two starter types?

Now that I've determined the slight swelling on the block under the coil
should have an engine #, how do I remove the crud  to read the # without
obliterating it? Just engine cleaner, or do I need to do something else to
highlight the #'s?

Guidance / descriptions re how to visually tell the difference between the
bolt on or shrink on gear rings through the starter aperature? Tried to
count whether 90 or 91 teeth - kept losing count around 45 (or was it
46?)... got tired of that. (Is it as obvious as "you see bolts on the bolt
on one?)

Cameron Joyce
'59 TR3A (rolling, not running)
'54 TR2 (resting, not rolling)