RE: TR3a sputtering then die

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3a sputtering then die
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 09:19:30 -0700
> - hard line from the tank
> - about 12" from the tank a 3" soft line, fuel filter, 3" soft line

Call it superstition ... I don't like having a paper-element type fuel
filter in front of the pump.  If you're getting so much crud from the tank
that the original sediment bowl and pump can't handle it, then you need to
deal with the problem from the tank.  If your only goal is keeping stuff out
of the carbs, then a paper-element filter on the outlet side of the pump is
OK (but I don't use one).

Paper element filters always present some restriction ... which can go up
dramatically if you get some 'wet' gas or even condensation in your own gas
tank.  Without the paper filter, the water just passes harmlessly through
(well, maybe a bit of sputtering if it's really a lot of water).  I've been
stuck on the road more than once after getting a dodgy tank of gas ... but
only in a car with a paper element filter !

Randall