Sloppy Steering

To: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>
Subject: Sloppy Steering
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 13:29:39 -0400
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net> i4JHVO8K028903
Message text written by "Hugh Fader"
>One thing I notice is that there is some play in the steering. I can turn
the steering wheel say 5 degrees before the steering engages and moves the
wheels. Is there any way to take this up with an adjustment? Is it better
just replace the rack? Could this be causing the vibration? Any other
thoughts?
<

The first thing to check is to see if the rack is moving in the mounts.
You can do this by standing by the fender, reaching in to move the steering
wheel and watching the rack housing.  Getting these mounted tight is tricky
and having a loose rack is something that can happen to the best of us.
(Ask me houw I know)

Dave