RE: Sloppy Steering

To: "'Hugh Fader'" <hfader@usa.net>, "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Sloppy Steering
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 18:22:00 -0400
Hugh,
Did you replace your steering rack bushings with urethane? Sounds like
your lack of proper steering response may be worn or misadjusted rack
mounts and/or bushings.
I'd get the front end aligned by a competent alignment shop and see if
your other symptoms disappear.

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO

After replacing bushings and springs, I have my TR6 front suspension
back on the car and have taken a few short road tests. I have a few
problems to sort out.

1. Steering wheel not centered.
2. Pulls a bit to the right -- need to get an alignment.
3. Pulls to the right when braking.
4. An intermittent vibration in the steering at about 60 MPH.

The vibration is what has me worried. I didn't have anything quite this
severe before the rebuild.

One thing I notice is that there is some play in the steering. I can
turn the steering wheel say 5 degrees before the steering engages and
moves the wheels. Is there any way to take this up with an adjustment?
Is it better to just replace the rack? Could this be causing the
vibration? Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Hugh Fader