RE: OD connections - TR4A

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: OD connections - TR4A
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:54:54 -0700
January Williams wrote :

> Does correct routing of the speedo cable cross over in the engine
> compartment and then go down the right side?

I can't help with that, but Dave is right about the 4A being the first TR
with the angle drive, instead of the extra long speedo cable used on the
TR2-4 with OD.

> I also have a older fiberglas trans tunnel

Not certain, but I think OD cars had a cutout over the angle drive, and a
small metal plate over the cutout.  Not sure what the purpose was, but it
does give just a bit of extra clearance for the angle drive.

> While my 4A is (weren't all of them) negative ground,

I believe they were all negative ground.  The +/- switch apparently came at
the TR4 - 4A transition, even though the factory service manual doesn't
reflect this.  ISTR Piggott mentions it, and it is reflected in the
schematic in the owner's manual for the 4A.

> the old OD harness
> was connected up to the 'wrong' side of the ammeter, (N from OD relay
> connected to NW side, not the N side) that is, wrong side from shown in
> the TR4 / A diagram in Haynes which is clearly for positive
> ground/earth.  I suppose there isn't much of a voltage drop across it
> though, eh?

The issue is not the voltage drop through the ammeter ... the issue is
whether the ammeter shows the current surge drawn by the OD solenoid as it
pulls in.  The factory wired the OD to the battery side of the ammeter
(regardless of ground polarity), so the needle wouldn't kick to discharge
when the OD was activated.  It will otherwise work fine on either side.  I
deliberately changed mine, since I understand why it kicks (when it's
visible ... usually it's too fast to move the needle), and I want to know if
the pull-in contacts don't open.  Also added a fuse to the solenoid circuit,
both to protect the wire in case of a short, and to protect the solenoid
itself, if the contacts fail to open.

BTW, I have an preliminary copy of the TR4A schematic drawn by Dan Masters
for his long-awaited TR2-4A electrical manual.  Let me know if you would
like me to email you a copy.  It's about 350 kb.

> Seems the column switch is up for "on".

I believe that's backwards ... probably a DPO-ism.  Mine was the same way
when I got the car, and I left it that way even when I replaced the switch,
just because I am used to it.

Randall