starter replacement 58 3A

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: starter replacement 58 3A
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:24:59 -0400
Hello list:
How easy is it to replace starter on a 58 3A  (TS26412L) with one of
the high torque lightweight starters while the engine is still in the
car? I had the original starter rebuilt but after just a few months of
use the starter again cannot turn over the engine. Unfortunately I
cannot vouch for the "rebuild" job done by the automotive electrical
place to which I took it (but the price was right!). Car runs fine when
push started and battery is new. Even after full charge of battery with
external charger/starter connected and plugged in the starter can only
manage to groan and turn the flywheel 5-10 degrees. Replacing the
original starter with the engine in the car was the tightest job I've
ever accomplished with a wrench. Is it any easier with the replacement
starter from Moss? Any other vendors with a good product? I worry about
statements like "may need some additional tweaking " to get the thing to
fit especially when the engine is in the car. Thanks.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: