Re: starter replacement 58 3A

To: TR <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: starter replacement 58 3A
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:43:07 -0700
Richard Alexander wrote:

>...I had the original starter rebuilt but after just a few months of
>use the starter again cannot turn over the engine... the starter can only
>manage to groan and turn the flywheel 5-10 degrees.

Once after I had had the starter on the bench for some work and
reinstalled it, the rear bushing popped out (part #38 in Moss catalog).
Performance was just as you describe.  I had found a bushing on the
floor but of course I didn't immediately figure out where it came from.
There are other simple things that could cause this but on a newly
rebuilt unit this is at least one possibility.

I would expect the 'hi-torque' starters to be harder to install because
they look bulkier with the internal solenoid and that tweaking sounds
like there might be some trial fittings to get the correct fit.

As for R&Ring the original bullet-nose -- it certainly gets easier with
practice.  I have a little gap between the front edge of the gearbox
tunnel and the firewall (may be a screw missing there) that lets me slip
a wrench over the top starter mounting bolt -- makes it easier to get
that one.  A bungee cord from the other end of the wrench to the shift
lever makes it a one-man job.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A (pre-50000 starter)
Mt Lemmon, AZ