Re: TR4A Wiring Harness

To: homebru@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: TR4A Wiring Harness
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 06:15:14 -0700
> My question is:
> Do you think I am capable of installing a new one myself?  I am fairly
> technical (Engineer),

Mechanical I would guess.

Arm yourself with the Lucas wiring colour code and a small pile of
photocopies of the wiring diagram (usually in the owner's manual) so
you can mark the connections as done as you do them.

Hardest part is routing the harness into the identical location when
you've had the car apart for several years.  So either jpegs of the
harness here it clears the bulkhead or sketches of the routing showing
the locations of harness junctions make sliding in a new one a snap.

The British have standard wire insulating code that tells you what a
wire is doing.  So you always know a brown wire is unswitched hot lead
directly from the battery, a solid blue wire is lead lamp circuit
before the hi/lo switch, blue white is the high beam, blue red is the
low beam, brown yellow is the wire between the generator and the
voltage regulator.  Makes life ever so much easier.

www.cruzers.com/~twakeman/TR/Lucaswirecodes.htm

TIP:  The TR3 wiring harness uses a single connector with triple single
connections (same as 3 single barrel connectors glued together). These
are NLA.  Keep your old ones.  If the inside conductors are grungy push
out the metal tubes and push in new ones removed from three single
barrel connectors.  Good as new.

> Is it as simple as labling the old one, and trying to match the new
> one?

No need to label if you have a colour code.  Fastest way is to cut off
the old harness leaving an inch or so of the old wire at each
connection so you can tell at a glance which colour wire goes where.
Don't go chopping up the lamp subharnesses though unless you have or
are willing to make up new ones.

>   I know how to read a multi-meter.  Has anyone done this lately?
> What other tools might I need.

I've found that a soldering gun has come in handy as well as pliers
wire cutters and wire strippers.  But I also made up my own
subharnesses.

TeriAnn J. Wakeman
      Marigold Ltd.
      www.marigoldltd.com

T. J. Wakeman
twakeman@cruzers.com
http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman

"How can life grant us the boon of living..unless we dare"
Amelia Earhart 1898-1937

Check out the new British Cars Forum: