RE: TR4A Wiring Harness

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR4A Wiring Harness
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 06:48:04 -0700
> My question is:
> Do you think I am capable of installing a new one myself?  I am
> fairly technical (Engineer), and my other hobby is repairing and
> refurbishing pinball machines.

If you can handle rewiring an old (relays) pinball machine, you can do a
TR4A easy.

>  Is it as simple as labling the
> old one, and trying to match the new one?

Might not be quite that easy, since you say your old one is a non-original
mess.  You may need to compare the color codes from the new one to an
(accurate) schematic to figure out where everything goes.  But we're only
talking a handful of separate circuits and harness ends, so it wouldn't be
impossible even with the color codes.  As Dave said, the hardest part is
working under the dash.

>  I know how to read a
> multi-meter.  Has anyone done this lately?

Nope, haven't read my multimeter in some time <grin>

>  What other tools might I need.

Pretty much the same sort of thing you'd use on a pinball machine :
soldering equipment, heat shrink, etc.  I've never done a 4A, but the other
Triumphs all seem to be lacking in ground wires, which IMO are a worthwhile
addition unless strict originality is important to you.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: