Re: GT6-3: Overdrive Conversion?

To: Martin Secrest <msecrest@voanews.com>
Subject: Re: GT6-3: Overdrive Conversion?
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 06:38:08 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>1)  Shorter prop shaft?  Can the existing shaft be shortened?
 ***********************
Yes
***********************
>2)  For the O/D -- does the frame have existing mounting points, or are
>they needed?
***********************
the frame has existing holes (the same ones you use now), but an overdrive
frame cross member will have to be found or made -
***********************
>3)  On the diff: convert from 3:27 to 3:89?  Can this be done w/out
>R+R'ing the diff?  I believe that simply the crown (pinion?) gear can be
>replaced?
************************
The diff has to be removed for either procedure wether you are replacing
the gears or the diff -  The ring and pinion gears are a matched set, and
the ratios are definitely different gears.  In fact even the carrier used
in the 3.27 GT6 diff is an entirely different one to accommodate the
thicker gear so removal of the diff is required in either case. The
transmission has to be removed also since the main shaft is different for
the overdrive tranny.  the wiring,
relay, and switches on the tranny and stalk or shifter have to be added
I have done this very procedure on my 70 GT6 and it was well worth it to
me, but certainly not a trivial task
---