Re: GT6-3: Overdrive Conversion?

To: Martin Secrest <msecrest@voanews.com>
Subject: Re: GT6-3: Overdrive Conversion?
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:13:06 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>Couple follow ups -- what's involved w/shortening the shaft?  Cut out a
>section of the barrel and reweld it together?  Not a fun job -- finding
>the right size used shaft and renewing the joints might be easier.
**************************
Drive shaft shops should do this, it requires basically that but also
includes balancing the shaft after it's re-welded  finding a correct shaft
is also an option but might prove harder to come by as lengths vary
depending upon which transmission and overdrive was fitted.  Replacing
joints should be a priority either way - as leaving old ones in is just
asking for trouble sooner rather than later -
*************************
>On the overdrive frame cross member; I presume this is a welded piece?
*************************
No its a stamped and formed piece that moves the mounting holes for the
trany mount, which is also different, farther back to accommodate the
overdrive unit.  One can be made by fabrication something to replicate the
formed factory piece (which is what I did) but requires welding and
fabrication skills -
*************************
>OK on the diff -- but I suspect a complete unit, regardless of
>condition, will be tough.  Can the O/D unit and the prop shaft and diff
>from a GT6 PLUS be used on a Mark 3?  I may have a line on all of these
>items out of a GT6+.
*************************
Certainly, contrary to what some believe or have been told, all the diffs
and related parts are the same for ALL GT6's AND Spitfires from the 71 MK4
and later (except for the rear diff casing for later GT6 MK3's and
Spitfires which may not have all six threaded holes in them when used with
the swing spring)  The pumpkin (gear sets and internal parts for the diff)
for the TR7 with what I call small rear axles (where the front of the diff
is bolted to the housing like the Ford eight and nine inch) is also the
same but those ratios are either 3.63 or 3.27 (with an auto trans) -
Barry Schwartz (San Diego)
---