Re: GT6-3: Overdrive Conversion?

To: <msecrest@voanews.com>
Subject: Re: GT6-3: Overdrive Conversion?
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:35:26 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Martin Secrest wrote:
3)  On the diff: convert from 3:27 to 3:89?  Can this be done w/out
R+R'ing the diff?  I believe that simply the crown (pinion?) gear can be
replaced?

Martin, you don't *have* to re-ratio the diff. A 3.89 unit was usual fit for
overdrive cars, but only if the ordering dealer had failed to specify
another ratio on the new car order. Few if any US dealers realised they had
this ordering option but then, possibly the sales affiliate in New Jersey
never publicised it as available! However, for the Mk 1 and Mark 2 (GT6+)
the factory could, would and did line fit an overdrive with the
non-overdrive 3.27 and the other little known 3.54. Don't know what if
anything changed for the Mk 3 - but I doubt very little, if anything. All
you get with these last two ratios with O/D on top is a long or very long
O/D 4th gear. I had it on my Mk 2 with a 3.27 and the car would just about
pull 90mph on the level and an indicated 100 on a downhill slope. That was
fast enough for me on crowded UK freeways - even in the early 1970's and the
3.27 or 3.89 made little difference to cog-swapping in crowded London
traffic. Other may have a divergent view. Personally, I wouldn't bother with
swapping ratios - just get the O/D installed and notice the difference!

Jonmac

---