GT6-3: Overdrive Conversion?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: GT6-3: Overdrive Conversion?
From: Martin Secrest <msecrest@voanews.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 07:18:38 -0400
All:

While I have my '73 GT6 in pieces for various reasons, I am lightly
contemplating converting it to overdrive.  I have never really liked the
tall differential "cruising" ratio, and if this ever were to be done to
this car, now is the time.

I'd like to do this relatively economically, perhaps by locating a good
condition used O/D, but I am not sure exactly what's involved.
Questions:

1)  Shorter prop shaft?  Can the existing shaft be shortened?

2)  For the O/D -- does the frame have existing mounting points, or are
they needed?

3)  On the diff: convert from 3:27 to 3:89?  Can this be done w/out
R+R'ing the diff?  I believe that simply the crown (pinion?) gear can be
replaced?

And then there's the new relay and stalk; I think I can handle that(!)

Lastly -- is it worth it??

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6