Re: GT6-3: Overdrive Conversion?

To: Martin Secrest <msecrest@voanews.com>
Subject: Re: GT6-3: Overdrive Conversion?
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:39:53 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>That's definitely where it gets sticky for me.  I have a tiny little arc
>welder that is good for nothing except REALLY simple welds, and my
>fabricating skills are nonexistent.  I don't suppose the factory stamped
>piece BOLTS into the frame, does it?
*********************
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by piece bolts in the frame.  The frame
has only holes and the cross member has holes that match and it is secured
by four bolts and nuts. That is the way all GT6 and Spitfires were mounted
as far as I know - I used to have a picture of the mount I made, but I'll
be darned if I could find it since the move. If you have access to a
factory parts manual you can clearly see how it all mounts - its fairly
straight forward, I forgot to mention that if the vehicle never had
overdrive you will also have to cut away about 6 inches of the forward
tunnel and either make or find an original cover plate to screw back over
the missing tunnel area so you can get the transmission with the overdrive
back in the car, as it will now longer than it was before.
*********************
>Is wiring in the stalk and relay a big deal?
*********************
Well, again, it wasn't for me, but I have also made wiring harnesses for
several cars as well as wiring or building other electronic devices (an old
60 watt tube guitar amp comes to mind) so as far as your abilities, that
only you can determine - it's not particularly difficult as far as wiring
goes - the problems I had in both cases that I installed overdrives in both
my GT6 and my wife's 70 Spitfire, both with J type overdrives, was I had to
make shift levers, as finding ones with the hole down the center and
special slotted threaded section for the shift knob were almost impossible
to find.  The lever on the steering column would be easier to get, but I
personally liked the knob mounted switch -
---