Re: TR3 rear end behaviour on bumpy roads

To: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR3 rear end behaviour on bumpy roads
From: Michael Thompson <miket@rio.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:24:10 -0400
Richard,
I think this is the nature of the TR3. When you go around a corner and hit a
little bump the car will jump to the side. And they are a handful in the
wet. I have swapped ends quite a few times.
We have all gotten used to new car handling.
You ARE driving 50 year old technology.
Try driving a 50's thru 70's American car. Not so great.
Cheers and hold on.
Mike Thompson
59 TR3
71 Land Rover

On 10/27/04 3:36 PM, "richard triplett" <rtriplett25@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Had the TR3 (TS75434) out for a run on a new back road
> last weekend. One long stretch of asphalt was riddled
> with a regular series of bumps which looked similiar
> to the washboarding you get on dirt roads. Speed limit
> was 60 and I had a dickens of a time keeping this
> speed. Unless you were just outside the washboarding,
> the car would start to vibrate with the bumps and I
> could feel the rear end start to want to break away
> due to the rear tires losing traction. Is this the
> "nature of the beast" or is there something going out?
> My guesses are shocks or leafsprings... maybe shackle
> bushings (and having a tired steering doesn't help
> keep things under contro either!)? Any tips or related
> experience sure appreciated.
>
> And, on a vaugley related topic, is there an
> "official" skid pad value on a TR3? I assume it will
> vary with age and components (anti sway bars etc) but
> wondered about a stock value.
>
> Thanks, Richard

Check out the new British Cars Forum: