RE: TR3 rear end behaviour on bumpy roads

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: TR3 rear end behaviour on bumpy roads
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:44:53 -0700
> Is this the
> "nature of the beast" or is there something going out?

IMO, too many variables to say.  The rear suspension is certainly simple
enough, couldn't hurt to inspect it.

How rusty are your springs ?  IMO rust between the spring leaves (caused by
inadequate maintenance ... how many people actually oil them as the book
says ?) is a major cause of ill-handling TR3s.

Are the shock mounts tight ?  Loose mounts were a common problem on my car.

Are the shocks full of oil ?  While there are other ways they can fail, I
believe the most common is to wear until the seal leaks.  They still work
until the oil level is low enough allow air into the cylinders.

> And, on a vaugley related topic, is there an
> "official" skid pad value on a TR3? I assume it will
> vary with age and components (anti sway bars etc) but
> wondered about a stock value.

Depends heavily on tires.  Most other components actually affect it
relatively little, since it's a steady state measurement.  Once you start
the turn, all the slop gets taken up in both the suspension and the
steering, so it can be all loosey-goosey and still do well on the skid pad.
(Which is why this doesn't mean much about real-world handling.)

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: