Re: Oil Filters

To: Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Filters
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:59:10 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
How well do the various brands clean the oil? Please site specific
information, studies etc.

The report's author posts his disclaimers up front.

As the study states, Fram used to be a good oil filter. The author sites
a letter from a Fram (Allied Signal) engineer which pans Fram largely
because of quality control problems. The letter is here. I have no idea
whether the letter is bogus or not.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilter-fram1.txt

I used Frams for years. I stopped after reading the report because he
sites Fram's poor quality control and faulty anti-drainback valves as
evidenced by a noisy valve train at startup. I experienced the very same
symptoms with Fram PH3600 on my Escort and Ranger pickup. I have since
switched to Purolator and have little or no valve train noise on
startup.. and they are cheaper.

If you read the report, there is an obvious trade-off between filtering
capability and oil flow through the filter. Anyone can produce a filter
that does a superb job of filtering the oil, but it comes at the cost of
oil flow through.  If you have supportable (DOCUMENTED) evidence that
Fram has some special capabilities in this area, please post them. I,
and I'm sure others, would be interested.

Don Malling

Randall wrote:
>>I would not use a Fram
>

> OTOH I've always used Fram filters, and I've had consistently good luck with
> them.
>
> If you read through that "study", you'll note that it fails to test the one
> reason to select an oil filter ... how well it actually cleans the oil.  I
> don't care if it's built like a brick sh*thouse, if it don't clean the oil,
> it ain't a good filter !
>
> My 1980 Chevy Citation, named one of the 10 worst cars in the US by Consumer
> Reports, went some 250,000 miles without ever having the pan off, and
> wearing only Fram filters.
>
> Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: