Re: Oil Filters

To: Triumph Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Oil Filters
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:00:11 -0700
> Only a few, just enough to convince myself that this so-call "study"
> was a
> hoax, probably by a disgruntled ex-Allied engineer.

The study I saw was before Fram's legal pitbulls threat of an expensive
law suite if the site was not taken down right away.

The web site was a comparison of many different brands of filters.  I
think there were something like 15 different brands.  Basically the
person cut the can off the base and unrolled the filters taking lots of
pictures and measurements along the way.  There were pictures and
descriptions of the valves as well.  There was an upfront disclaimer
that there were no actual flow or filtering tests and that the site was
only a visual and dimensional comparison of the various filters.

One thing he discovered was that several brands of filters, often at
different price points were made by the same manufacturer and had
identical guts.

Fram was just one of several brands that seemed a bit lacking inside.
Rather than memorize the list of higher quality brands i just noted
that WIX seemed well built and available just about anyplace.  I seem
to vaugely remember that Chevron & Quaker State filters seemed to be
better built as well. There were too many filters for my poor brain to
keep track of so I just fixated on WIX.

TeriAnn J. Wakeman
      Marigold Ltd.
      www.marigoldltd.com