RE: Oil Filters

Subject: RE: Oil Filters
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:35:10 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
> How well do the various brands clean the oil? Please site specific
> information, studies etc.

Don, I don't have the link any more, but I have seen a study that actually
compared oil filters on the basis of how well they cleaned the oil.  Fram
was solidly in the middle of the pack.

And it's really not as simple as that, either.  Some dirt is too small to
cause any problems, and a filter that tries to take out the really tiny
stuff will clog quickly and then not filter at all.  So the question becomes
what size particles should the filter remove.  And many of the studies are
contaminated IMO by being sponsored by auto manufacturers, some of whom were
arguing up until the 1950's that cars did not need oil filters at all.  (The
oil filter was optional on my 62 Chevy.)

I'm not trying to claim that Fram is any better than any other brand.  But
in my direct, real world experience, with my cars and the way I drive them
(which after all is what counts), Fram works.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix
it."

I don't know why those people seem to hate Fram, but I find it suggestive
that the websites slamming Fram seemed to pop up right after Allied Signal
had a big layoff ...

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: