Re: starter replacement 58 3A

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: starter replacement 58 3A
From: "Richard Alexander" <RALEXANDER@smail.umaryland.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:19:37 -0400
Ed:
Interesting. You had the same experience as I. Apparently my car (and
yours) have the later starter and ring gear that were not supposed to be
on the cars until about TS50000. The later starter has only an exposed
shaft assembly sticking out about 4 inches from the housing and no hood
over the shaft as had the earlier starter. My starter has the later
version which I now understand because I pulled it out previously to get
it rebuilt. The real difference apparently is the ring gear attached to
the flywheel (which has the teeth engaged by the starter pinion gear).
The earlier ring gear was pressed onto the flywheel (what an
engineereing faux pas that would appear to be), the later ring gears
were bolted to the flywheel. I distinctly remember bolts in my ring gear
when I was contorting under the care wrestiling to get the starter motor
out and (worse) back in. The pinion gear sizes are different for the two
ring gears. Probably they realized that a pressed-on gear on the
flywheel was a bad idea and started changing it earlier than they
reported. Else someone may have replaced it in the history of my car but
that will have to remain unknown. However, I suspect the former as many
"later" early vintage 3A's like yours and mine have this change before
the 50000 commission number. Once again the baffling manufacturing
process for our delightful LBC.
-rich-
58 TR3A TS26412L

> How easy is it to replace starter on a 58 3A  (TS26412L) with one of
> the high torque lightweight starters while the engine is still in
the
> car?
>> Installation should be no trouble at all from underneath. Be careful
when
ordering however. The first one MOSS sent me, the gear to flywheel
drive was
too small diameter, even though I ordered it for the vintage # of the
vehicle.
MOSS claimed that the one I needed was for the later flywheel. It is
possible
that in a later rebuild (before my ownership) the flywheel from a later
car
was used, but the original starter when I got it was the "bomb" type.
Measure
the diameter of the gear  before ordering and call to make sure.

Ed (58 TR3A 38450... or so)

Check out the new British Cars Forum: