Re: Fly-off Handbrake

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fly-off Handbrake
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:08:11 -0800 (PST)
A well-timed grab of the brake to lock up the rears is a time-tested
technique, still used today at the highest levels of rallye competition.
Those fancy WRC cars with all wheel drive have their brake handles
rigged in fly-off (or no lock at all), and typically have a mechanism
built in to disable the center differential when the lever is lifted.

The short lever of the 4A provides less mechanical advantage than you
might like. This is exacerbated by the need to adjust the brakes
such that the lever engages them after only a few clicks. I often
end up using both hands to pull up when I need it to really stick.

Adjustment and lubrication are key. The cables need to slide
freely in their housings, and the slack in the cables should be
removed at each wheel cylinder (once you take the wheel
off, it will be obvious which nut to fiddle). Then adjust
the rear brakes. I've tried several methods, and have come
to like this one best:

Set the handbrake up three clicks. Set the rear brake adjusters
so the drum won't move under full hand pressure. Release the
handle, the drums should spin freely. You're done.

I find this much more satisfying than the "tighten until resistance
is felt and then back off", especially since it doesn't allow
you to get the handbrake adjusted correctly.

chris