Re: Fly-off Handbrake

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Fly-off Handbrake
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 17:53:56 -0500
From "francis precht" <fprecht at frostburg.edu>
To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 11:48 AM

> I have a related question regarding the fly-off handbrake on the TR4A.
>  How can I increase its' holding power/efficiency ?
> It seems I remember reading somewhere that the linkage was re-engineered
> from the 4 to 4A along with repositioning it to the tunnel center, but
> that the efficiency was compromised.

Bud P:

There was a change in design of the handbrake linkage on the 4 & 4A  but the
major difference was that with the 4 (and the side screen cars) the
handbrake handle was twice the length of the 4A's handle.  The driver is
able to exert almost twice the torque when setting the handbrake of the TR4
with its two foot long chromed lever.

The key to setting the handbrake on any car is to firmly press down the foot
brake when setting the handbrake.  The foot brake will force maximum
pressure on the drums while you are setting the handbrake to lock the rear
shoes in that position.  Try it and you will never complain about non
holding handbrakes.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana