Re: Gas War

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gas War
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:39:18 EDT
>From the online inflation calculator:
http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

( 2005 prices inserted)

In a message dated 4/12/05 3:22:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
anabil@caltel.com writes:

<< the St. Joseph News Press & Gazette, dated 1958 ...

    "Independant service stations on the Belt Highway became
 involved in a Gas War. Premium grade gasoline, which was selling at
 28.9 ( 1.92 ) cents per gallon, was down to 22.9 ( 1.53 ) and regular grade
gasoline
 was 7 cents below the normal 26.9 ( 1.79 )  to 19.9  (1.33 )  " >>

Factor in the modern cost of EPA regulations, vapor recovery at stations and
deap sea drilling rigs, and the modern price might not be that far off.  Yes,
there has been a recent spike but that will pass.

I suspect gas in the 50's and 60's was a loss leader to bring people in for
service.

The question really is, are recent gas price increases bringing the US to
world pricing or are we now paying more than other countries?   I suspect we
have
lived on cheap fuel costs for years and are now getting closer to reality.

No rant or flame
Harold