RE: Off-topic question no LBC

To: <Dave1massey@cs.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Off-topic question no LBC
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:36:11 -0400
You've been driving a Triumph for how long and still haven't asked yourself if
it wouldn't just be faster to get there on foot? ;^)

I'm doing up a presentation related to digital technology and I've been trying
to find a way that a non-technical person can relate to the real-world
changes. The normal things the geeks like to talk about like clock speeds etc.
have almost no relation to the real world impact of the technology. For
example, in 1940 your 20-30 hp car would happily do 50-60 mph on the highway,
but the roads were smaller so you averaged 30 mph getting to work. Today over
50% of new cars have greater than 200 hp can get up to 80 mph in a few seconds
and the road system is 5 times larger. However, traffic has reduced the
average speed of getting to work to... 30 mph. Therefore some 65 years of
technology and digital control has resulted in no effective difference.

Anyway, the subject sort of started me thinking and the old man vs. horse
thing came to mind.

Cheers,

Mark