Re: Off-topic question no LBC

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Off-topic question no LBC
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:39:43 EDT
Hi Mark,

If memory serves, the Spanish missions in California were originally spaced
up and down the coast one day's horseback ride apart - approximately 25-30
miles, give or take - allowing for terrain, etc. I seem to recall that's what
I've
seen in historical info at various missions.

Of course, that would be based on a walk, not a run. Horses can only run flat
out for a limited amount of time. On the other hand, they're "fueled" by
grasses found almost everywhere rather than $3 a gallon gasoline, plus their
emissions are biodegradable so emission controls are generally only required in
4th
of July parades.

Sorry, don't know about out-running a horse. I've never tried it!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
Does anybody have an idea of the maximum sustained daily distance that a
horse and rider can cover?

I have often heard references to the fact that a man can carry food and run
longer and farther than a horse (or at least a man on a horse). Due to the
amount of time herbivores must spend grazing, it sounds plausible over the long
term, but perhaps also wishful thinking. Any supporting/disproving knowledge
out
there?

Mark